Thursday, March 3, 2011

Roy G Biv

Today was the usual busy Wednesday. We had Bible study this morning. Today we studied about the name Jehovah Raah - The Lord My Shepherd. How awesome is it to know that the Lord goes BEFORE us and doesn't follow behind us?? The Shepherd also knows each sheep in his flock's name. Someone mentioned that reminded them of the song "He Knows My Name." I, however, had the Veggie Tales song "Good Shepherd"  stuck in my head. All I could think of was 'baa, baa, baa - I'm a little sheep. baa, baa, baa - I'm a little sheep. Good Shepherd, Good Shepherd I'll follow you." And now it's stuck in yours!!

Because of our busy day (did I mention we hung out with friends at Chuck E Cheese for a while?) we had a short lesson on rainbows today. Well, technically yesterday since it's already after midnight? How does that happen??

We read The Leprechaun Who Lost His Rainbow by Sean Callahan. The leprechaun's name is Roy G Biv. The girls are very familiar with the colors of the rainbow but it was a fun review and a nice introduction to the acronym.

After our lesson we started on this project. I LOVE it!

We used a spaghetti sauce jar for our Hide-n-Seek jar. When coloring your popcorn make sure you use a liquid food coloring. I'm sure that is common knowledge but my blue/red mixture was not making a pretty purple so I used my purple gel coloring. It was choosing not to dry and was all clumpy. I threw away that batch (plus the previous!) and used candy coloring. It worked much better!

I printed out a label for the top with what little treasures were hiding inside. I cut the lab to fit the lid and mod podged it on. I like labeling to complicate things.



 The girls picked out an assortment of small toys. I have a feeling they'll like playing with this well past Saint Patrick's Day so their toys weren't just one color.



After the kernels were dry I layered them in the jar according to the spectrum. I stuck the toys in a couple at a time after each layer. The girls were in bed before the project was finished so I'm leaving it in all of its layered beauty until they can get their hands on it.

No comments: